Friday, February 10, 2012

The New Investigation

The District Attorney's Investigator called me today. Somewhat apologetically, he said, "You may remember me . . ."

"Yes, from one of the worst days of my life," I replied, referencing the night that he basically interrogated Jake and me in our own kitchen.

He then asked if I would answer a few questions pertaining to a new investigation into new accusations against Jake. I felt faint and started shaking, like all the blood was leaving me.

I said, "Please, I can't." I started crying. I was having flashbacks of the year I just went through - the year I thought was over!

He said something like, "You could help these young women who are victims . . ." Women?! Multiple women? 

I managed to keep my head attached and told him I would talk to my lawyer first. That's who I called next and cried to her, "Please tell me I don't have to talk to him. I can't go through this again!" She instructed me to call him back and plan an appointment to meet with him, but only with her present. 

Talking with him again, he gave me some BS about, "I don't know why you need to talk to a lawyer. You're not in trouble. This won't take long. I'm confused about why you think you need a lawyer to protect you - do you have information?" He talked in a simpering manner, like he was so friendly and caring. He chose the wrong act to pull on me because insincere kindness makes me mad.

I snapped at him, "I went through hell last year in court with Social Services. Don't judge me for wanting the guidance of a lawyer!" I gave him her number and hung up.

My lawyer ended up talking to him on the phone. She invoked spousal privilege for me and told him that I had no personal knowledge of anything Jake may have done. Then she called me back to tell me that I didn't need to meet with him after all and he is not allowed to contact me directly. God, I was so relieved.

Then she reminded me that investigators are allowed to lie and manipulate (like I don't have enough of that in my life), so I should keep that in mind as she told me the following. The investigator told her that they already have an arrest warrant for Jake. My heart sank.

I don't want to replay last year. I don't want to go to court hearings and cry every time. Maybe the investigator was lying about the warrant - I've heard that line on Law&Order enough to know how they use it to get more info. But maybe he isn't. If Jake is arrested I just may leave.

At the end of my conversation with my lawyer, I asked her about this blog. Am I putting information out that is too sensitive? I'm not sure what I'm worried about, but she is likely reviewing it right now. If this blog disappears and you never hear from me again, you can guess what her answer was.

No comments:

Post a Comment