Sunday, July 15, 2018

Speaking of Hate Speach. Sticks and Stone may break our bones but it's those Loaded Words that wound us all the most...

 Before any of us dare break the Silence and begin to talk openly airing our side of the issue we need to find ways to refer to each other that don't further inflame the lynch mob.  

I’m assuming the common ground we all advocate for is effective intervention and prevention? Or, at least, more kindness and less cruelty in word and deed all round? 
and perhaps less collateral damage for wives, mothers, and families to deal with.   

We need to find new language (instead of just repeating the indelible labels such as Predator, Monster, Dangerous Sexual Psychopath.  All of these indelible labels carry old baggage that only serves to inflame and re-energize lynch mobs,  prosecutors, and the unthinking public. I believe we need to move from once a ("perpetrator")...forever a ( #$%^&) language that benefits no one and extinguishes hope.   

Otherwise if we keep pounding each other with what sometimes amounts to hate speech, how will we move from punitive to restorative justice and work together reach our goal of preventing harm/ collateral damage to all concerned?   


I’m concerned that the #MeToo movement, while it does break the silence,  seems so into vengeance (#Time’s Up) etc. I’m glad women and men (and even children) are feeling powerful enough to speak up, break the silence but if we are only going to use old labels, scream at each other from across the prison yard and play hurtful Gotcha! in family gatherings, I doubt we  will usher in the change we need to actually make a difference in our lives going forward. 


Imagine if  Larry Nasser, the coach for the girls Olympic Gymnastic team (who told the court he too had been molested as a child) had been more able/ motivated / felt safe enough to raise his hand as a little boy and say he had been molested. What if he had not been shamed into silence? What if he had asked for help and actually received real help before (or shortly after) he began to act?  How many girls, how much harm would have been prevented not only to the girls but to himself? 

Instead, years later, we saw  50 girls molested, weeping and enraged as they testified at what was a Public Spectacle more than a real exercise injustice. Then the judge took the opportunity to pile on. Punishment is not justice and it avails us nothing. It neither heals nor does it prevent.

Nasser will never see the light of day and those girls will forever be labeled "victim." In my judgment, Not a good outcome for either “side.” So they have 'saved' his "victims" and thrown him into the sh*t pile forever marked Predator. If he ever sees a parole board they will prbably just put him into some "Civil Commitment Facility." marked dangerous sexual psychopaths. 

As far as I'm concerned the 900,000 names currently listed on this country's Registry is a testimony to the sad fact that current methods have failed 900,000 times.  But until we can sit down and openly speak to each other in non-inflammatory terms, until I feel safe enough to speak aloud,  Restorative Justice and recovery will remain beyond anyone's reach.  

As some of you may remember, I have been writing a memoir tracing child sexual abuse down through 4 generations of my own family from pioneer times to the present.

I finally got it written. Now I'm in the process of getting 'blurbs' (recommendations) for the back cover and making final decisions like which title to use.  

The title has morphed as I wrote and edited (and then corrected) the book which is a family saga tracing child sexual abuse through 4 generations of my family from Pioneer Days the present.  

At first, I thought the title should be Treated Like a Girl since both boys and girls in my family were molested and some went on to molest others in succeeding generations. 
Then I tried  A Sex Offender's Wife, A Daughter's Life, A Mother's Voice Speaking Out.

Then a beta reader who read the memoir (version 2000000) suggested The Sex Offender's Legacy, Silenced Lives and I settled on that.  However every time law enforcement knocks on my door, I am treated to yet another personal experience of how wounding indelible labels are. The newer label "Sex Offender at least seems to carry less baggage. But 
how much collateral damage is done because we as a group, even those advocating for fairness and change have not found language to speak to each other human-being-to-human-being across the great divide that is the Sex Offender Registry?  Because who knows what we are referring to when we say "registrant" or even "offender?"  

In any case,   The title of my completed memoir (I haven't yet loaded it onto Create Space) is SILENCED LIVES, the Sex Offender's Legacy. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Ruby Sue here again. I'm hanging in there, but I still have moments where I feel like one of those milk bottles that people whack with softballs at the carnival-you know how it goes, every time you feel like you're settled and in place again, somebody plops down five bucks and knocks you ass over earlobes again. Well, I got one of those moments again last week. It seems that our state has updated its offender-registry system to include automatic alerts when an "enlisted" person moves into your area. You have to sign up for it, but then you'll get a heads-up from the system when somebody new is added rather than simply being able to search on your own if you WANT to. I don't know if this is going to be used retroactively as well, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

    This may make people feel safer, but what the powers that be fail to realize is what this new alert system does to the FAMILIES of the offenders-the parents, the partners, the children who are still a part of that person's life. We're not exactly going to be getting the Welcome Wagon as a result, if you get my drift. It's probably going to be more like the modern version of torches and pitchforks, as if we didn't already have some kind of scarlet letter stuck on us by society at large. We already have to worry enough about being shunned by our neighbors and communities, getting fired from our jobs, our kids being bullied at school, and even possible vandalism on days like Halloween because of having That Sign on the door (in those communities that still use it), and now this on top of it all. It's bad enough that there are no support systems or groups for us (I've looked, there aren't any in my state at all) without the system giving haters another way to shame and shun the families all over again.

    And my parents and husband wonder why I'm freaking out about this news. It's not a full-scale PTSD spaz-out like I had when we got the phony "bench warrant" scam robocall, but it ranks a close second. I'm seriously thinking about writing a letter to the editor titled "What About The Families?" explaining how this approach is going to do NOTHING to help give support to the families thrown under the bus by the system in this regard and maybe throwing in a few harangues relating to same, but our newspaper doesn't let us be anonymous, and I can't use my real name for obvious reasons. I wish there were some way I could fight back, not just for myself and my family, but also for the families in our area who are going through similar hell and have nobody to turn to for identical reasons.


    Thanks for letting me vent anyway. Having somebody to talk to is a great sanity saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ruby Sue. (my ex. the man who molested my children years ago, died last week) and I have been trying to write a post about that on Not the Life but ended up just knowing I had to have some place to talk about how I felt about that) So I wrote and wrote yesterday and ended up realizing how angry and sad I still am at how he managed to waste his life and silence his victims. And it's the 'silenced' that I ended up with...no place to really say honestly how I feel except here on Not the Life. That's just why we, all of us, need a place like Not the Life where we can dare to speak up about what seems unspeakable because the Registry and being singled out because we love someone on the Registry (and therefore get treated as pariah's too when we are singled out by the Registry, by family by friends, by neighbors, by Law enforcement, and right now, during elections, by politicians who want to prove they are 'tough on crime' to hell with the collateral damage or even the injustice the Justice System often causes. NV recently announced that the state is fully implementing the Adam Walsh Act in NV...which means they will only consider "original convictions' and that means even people like my present husband will be reclassified based only on original conviction (for rape of an adult female) in his case. (we can discuss how I ended up marrying a person convicted of rape,later) But I certainly understand your fear. My current husband was convicted in 1976 when he just returned from Vietnam. He and served a long time in prison. He has no other convictions. He (like me) is old now and when he got out we had a hard time even getting permission to live where we live now. When we got P&P's Okay to move into this trailer court, it was full of mostly old people. Many have since died and been replaced by young couples who now have young children. If they ignore his 'history' (or lack of it, fail to take his age and present condition into consideration as the Adam Walsh Act dictates, then I don't know where we might be 'allowed' to move. Into some downtown residential Hotel?
      I'm afraid too. I hope for the best and prepare for the worst every day. Thank God for people like you who are there for me to vent to...I don't know if this helps you but I'm glad you and I are here so that other women, whatever their situation, whatever their choices, can reach out and share their lives here on Not the Life and be certain they won't be attacked, but will find support and others who certainly understand what we are going through.

      Delete
  2. And, another thing...yes, if you can write the letter to the editor 'autonomously' I'd say at least write down what you's want to write in such a letter. You can then let it 'sit' and decide whether or not to actually send the letter out. I find Writing it all down helps me know what I think/feel and somehow takes some of the pressure/ the PTSD off. As a matter of fact, if you want to 'publish' your letter to the editor here on Not the Life I'd be happy to read it. Take care, JanetM

    ReplyDelete